In industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing and electronics, keeping the products or processes clean and uncontaminated is crucial. Also, personal protection from hazardous substances requires an effective defence against biological and chemical substances.
With protective clothing of DuPont™ Tyvek®, these two forms of protection are combined into one.
People are the most serious source of particle emission in a cleanroom. Regular clothing can expose products or processes to material particle shedding, residues and foreign particles. Effective particle barrier clothing functions as a personal filter that protects cleanrooms from contamination by people. Depending on the model features and cleanroom conditions, unwashed and non-sterilized Tyvek® garments are suitable for use in many cleanroom classes, e.g. the 10 000 and 100 000 classes.
At the same time, some cleanroom work requires the protection of people from hazardous substances, such as liquid or solid chemicals or biological agents. These hazards occur not only in chemical, pharmaceutical and microbiological environments, but even in the production of computer chips or when painting under cleanroom conditions. Traditional cleanroom clothing simply does not provide adequate personal protection.
Both cleanroom clothing and chemical protective clothing need to meet the same basic criteria for use in a cleanroom: The material must be low-linting, the design must be sufficiently tight, and the danger of collecting particles on the surface of the garment must be minimized. Furthermore, such clothing must be comfortable to wear, have good electrostatic discharge efficiency and – if the clothing is required to be germproof – sterilized garments made of Tyvek® as well as clean laundered and sterilized garments made of Tyvek® IsoClean® are available from specialist cleanroom suppliers.
Tyvek® garments are ideal for use in cleanroom applications by operational personnel, maintenance, cleaning staff and visitors. They help:
- Protect the cleanroom environment against human contamination
- Offer good electrostatic charge dissipation. Both sides of Tyvek® have a full-surface antistatic coating (meeting the EN 1149-5 requirement)
- Not to generate contamination
- Protect people against solid or liquid hazardous substances and biological hazards (Tyvek® Classic Plus suits meet the requirements of type 4-B, 5-B and 6-B chemical protective clothing)
- Allow heat exchange, and air and moisture vapour permeability for the wearer’s comfort
- Provide consistently high two-way protective performance, by virtue of being limited-use.
With a low weight and a high level of resistance to abrasion, protective clothing of Tyvek® is well-suited for limited-duration applications. Moreover, suits of Tyvek® are supplemented by a variety of protective accessories. Finally, protective clothing of Tyvek® is inexpensive in terms of waste disposal, as it can be disposed of via standard means according to legislation.