Cost-Effective Blow Molding Resins Add Transparency and Gloss
Surlyn® provides high gloss, scratch resistance, pleasant touch, and squeezability to cosmetic bottles and tottles.
DuPont™ Surlyn® blow molding resins are a cost-effective solution for transparent or opaque, monolayer or multi-layer premium blow-molded bottles and tottles for cosmetic, skin care, and hair care products.
Surlyn® provides outstanding transparency, high gloss, and scratch resistance to both extrusion blow-molded and injection blow-molded containers. For multi-layer extrusion blow-molded bottles, Surlyn® also offers significant cost savings versus expensive lacquering.
Glossy or Matte, Rigid or Flexible
With their unique chemistry, Surlyn® blow molding resins enable the creation of different surface solutions:
- Depth of image through transparent outer layer
- High glossy surface through polished mold
- Semi-matte surface through textured mold
- Rigid or flexible structure
Multi-Layer or Monolayer, Surlyn® Delivers
Surlyn® performance properties depend on the type of container structure. For multi-layer containers, Surlyn® provides:
- High glossy surface
- Excellent scratch and abrasion resistance
- Warm and pleasant touch
- Deepness effect to reveal colors and pigments
- Superior chemical resistance
- Improved squeezability and spring-back effect
- Easy reuse of regrind compared to lacquered bottles
For monolayer containers, such as tottles, Surlyn® provides:
- Crystal-clear transparency allowing contents to be visible
- Convenient squeezability
- Stiffness and spring-back effect for flexible tottles
- Better bottle emptying and improved dispensability
- Excellent moisture and gas barrier properties
- Superior chemical resistance
The Chemistry of Surlyn®
Surlyn® blow molding resins constitute a family of thermoplastic materials, based on ionically cross-linked copolymers. The ionic bonds modify the crystalline structure in such a way that ionomers become very transparent resins that are also tough and highly resistant to solvents.
Extrusion Blow Molding:
- Surlyn® 8920 for extreme gloss and transparency
- Surlyn® 1706 for enhanced chemical resistance
Injection Blow Molding:
- Surlyn® 8528 and 1652 for additional flexibility
Surlyn® blow molding resins help contribute to more sustainable cosmetics packaging. With scratch resistance eliminating the need to add coatings or varnishes, Surlyn® is a solvent-free solution. And the Surlyn® polyolefin-based structure (together with PE) provides improved recyclability compared to PA.
Product Data Sheets (15)
- Surlyn® PC100 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC350 Datasheet (PDF)
- Surlyn® PC2000 Datasheet (PDF)
- Disco Purge Procedure (PDF)
- Surlyn® Chemical Resistance (PDF)
- Surlyn® Moisture Protection (PDF)
- Surlyn® Molding Guide (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Grades Chart (PDF)
- Surlyn® Packaging Properties Overview (PDF)
- Surlyn® Properties Chart (PDF)
USES AND APPLICATIONS
- Surlyn® for Polymer Modification
Cosmetic Packaging Design
DuPont resins offer limitless shapes and visual effects for cosmetic packaging design, so brand owners, converters, and equipment manufacturers are limited only by their imaginations.
Beverage Packaging and Containers
DuPont™ Surlyn®, Nucrel®, and Selar® for beverage packaging preserve freshness and offer more convenience for consumers.
Higher Purity Fragrance Packaging
Gaplast GmbH uses DuPont™ Surlyn® in its innovative bag-in-bottle for fragrance packaging to increase product purity and support greater design freedom.
INFORMATION & IDEAS
- Plastic Processing
- Packaging Prototypes
- Six Top Packaging Design Ideas
Surlyn® for Packaging Downgauging
DuPont™ Surlyn® delivers the strength, stiffness, and extrudability film converters require for packaging downgauging and to optimize use of petroleum-based materials.
- End-to-End Packaging Development
- Polymer Testing and Packaging Tools